THE PERFECT BACKYARD BBQ SIDE
I grew up in the South, and one of my favorite southern sides that you will find at almost every single backyard BBQ, is a traditional sweetened cornbread! It’s easy to mix up a large batch to go with your favorite pulled pork or BBQ Baby back ribs, and it’s always a crowd favorite.
GOOD LARD! IS THAT BACON?
Also, don’t forget to save the extra bacon drippings from your morning breakfast. Bacon drippings can not only be stored for months, but also are one of my favorite ways to add extra flavor to my cornbread. I like to use the bacon lard to grease the pan I bake my cornbread in—and who doesn’t love the taste of bacon!!!!
PAIRS NICELY WITH A WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
Sweet cornbread also pairs nicely with your favorite Chili. You can also find the recipe for one of my favorite White Chicken Chili recipes right here.
Sweet Cornbread—Perfect for a Backyard BBQ
2/3 Cup Butter, softened
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
1 2/3 Cup whole milk
2 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
4 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
*Extra Butter or Bacon Lard For Browning
- Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together in a mixer.
- Add milk.
- Then fold in by hand your remaining dry ingredients by hand. Mix only until blended. Do not over mix.
- Pour your cornbread batter into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish. (If you have bacon lard, I like to use that to crease my pan).
- Top batter with “slivers” of butter so that the top of the corn bread browns nicely.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 28-32 minutes. When done, test center with a knife to make sure it comes out clean and to make sure the center is cooked through.